Search This Blog

Sunday 18 March 2012

Drama workshops for Years 5, 6, 7 & 8

For workshops with older children I do creative writing drama workshops.
I use one of my novels for older children (Sam Marsh: The Viking King or one of my two new novels Sam Marsh: The Battle of the Cloudships or Jacob’s War).
I start these sessions by reading from one of my books and then I outline what sort of script I want the children to write (I always give them choices). The children then split into small groups of four or five and start working together, brainstorming ideas. Before the children start writing I will give them pointers and tips on how to lay out their scripts and then they start their creative writing!
Writing time tends to be lively and really fun, and the children have to work together to produce the best script possible. I circulate through the classrooms and make sure the children are getting the most out of their ideas, making sure the scripts are progressing, encouraging and motivating, sometimes reining in a little!
Then it’s rehearsal time! After rehearsals it’s time to act out their plays to the rest of the group. Sometimes schools like to record the plays during the first performance sometimes it’s better to do this the next day in a quiet place.
Watch this blog for some brilliant recordings of plays!
http://www.ninnylizard.com/visits.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment